The study circle on development issues SKOV, with the kind cooperation of the student club Nji Sri, the study associations Ipso Facto and Nitocra, and the New Network on Food and Environment, cordially invites you, members, alumni, students, and other interested persons to an online debate on The Need for Fertilizers in Africa.
Several short introductions by fertilizer experts with ample experience in Africa will precede the debate. Please find the invitation here and the programme below.
Welcome (3 min)
ir Cor de Jong, president of SKOV
The soil fertility problem in Africa and the need for fertilisers (15 min)
Dr Shamie Zingore, African Plant Nutrition Institute, Benguerir, Morocco
Advances with speciality fertilisers (5 min)
Dr Simone Radersma, resident expert in the African fertilizer sector
The role of legume nitrogen fixation (5 min)
Prof. Dr Ken Giller, professor of Plant Production Systems, WUR
From subsistence to market production: Implications for rural household food security in Uganda (5 min)
Dr Proscovia Renzaho Ntakyo, lecturer agribusiness, Kabale University (invited)
chaired by Prof. Dr Ruerd Ruben, professor of Impact Assessment of Food Systems, WUR
Closing remarks (2 min)
ir Gijs Kok, vice-president of SKOV
Our invitees and representatives of the European Fertilizer Industry and the Network of Agricultural Attachés in Africa have been invited to comment.
- This online seminar will take place on Thursday 17 June 2021 from 19:30 till 21:00 CET.
- The language of communication is English.
- Participation is free of charge.
- Please register for participation before Wednesday 16 June through sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can send you the link for the online meeting.
* Picture Africa © Ken Giller