Fats are an important constituent of many food and our daily diet. The overconsumption of fats greatly contributes to the prevalence of obesity and associated diseases. From an evolutionary perspective, it could be beneficial to detect fat, and thus the energy content of foods from a distance, i.e. before it is put in the mouth. The aim of this research is to gain more insight into the smell perception of fat.
This study includes three smell tests:1 perceptual rating test (you will receive a number of odor samples and evaluate them on various aspects such as pleasantness, or intensity, or identity) and 2 triangle tests (you will also receive serval sets of samples to distinguish which one is different (odd) in each set). All odors that used are commonly used in everyday life and are safe.)
In addition, you will fill out a questionnaire about your (eating) behaviour.
What do you get in return?
- Financial reward of € 25,- after all test sessions
- Valuable contribution to highly advanced research
You can participate if:
- You are aged between 18 and 55 years old
- You have a BMI between 18.5 and 27.5
- You are not lactose intolerance
- Your are not pregnant, do not intend to become pregnant and do not breast-feed
- You have a normally functioning sense of smell (this will be assessed)
- You are not currently on a calorie-restricted diet or have been in the past 2 months
- You do not smoke
If you have any doubt about meeting the criteria, feel free to still contact us.
Are you interested in participating in the Orthofat study and want to know more? Please contact the research team!