MSc thesis topic: Enhancement of UAV 3D point clouds in vineyards by adding thermal information
UAVs have enabled a great revolution in agriculture due to the important reduction in costs they present, together with a rapid data acquisition. The combination of UAV data from several sensors (RGB, multispectral, thermal, etc.) provides new tools to know the state of the crop in more detail.
Data fusion is gaining importance to merge information from several sources. The combination of thermal imagery with 3D point clouds allows knowing how the temperature is distributed in-depth through the canopy. As grape clusters are mostly located in the bottom third of the canopy, perceiving its temperature might allow acquiring the cluster’s temperature, which brings useful information about the state of the cluster and the future quality it will have during harvesting.
Relevance to research/projects
- Review the current information of thermal imagery in vineyards
- Fuse thermal imagery with 3D pointclouds
- Extract useful information of the canopy and each part individually
- Nesbit, P., & Hugenholtz, C. (2019). Enhancing UAV–SfM 3D Model Accuracy in High-Relief Landscapes by Incorporating Oblique Images. Remote Sensing, 11(3), 239.
- Grant, O. M., Ochagavía, H., Baluja, J., Diago, M. P., & Tardáguila, J. (2016). Thermal imaging to detect spatial and temporal variation in the water status of grapevine (Vitis viniferaL.). The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 91(1), 43–54.
- García-Fernández, M.; Sanz-Ablanedo, E.; Pereira-Obaya, D.; Rodríguez-Pérez, J.R. Vineyard Pruning Weight Prediction Using 3D Point Clouds Generated from UAV Imagery and Structure from Motion Photogrammetry. Agronomy 2021, 11, 2489.
- Jurado, J. M., Ortega, L., Cubillas, J. J., & Feito, F. R. (2020). Multispectral Mapping on 3D Models and Multi-Temporal Monitoring for Individual Characterization of Olive Trees. Remote Sensing, 12(7), 1106.
- J. Zhu, Y. Xu, Z. Ye, L. Hoegner, U. Stilla. Fusion of urban 3D point clouds with thermal attributes using MLS data and TIR image sequences. Infrared Phys. Technol., 113 (2021), p. 103622
- UAV enthusiast
- Willing work with 3D data
- Excited to work with high-tech platforms
Theme(s): Sensing & measuring