Student information


Medical Insurance

Non-Dutch students must be adequately insured for medical expenses while staying in the Netherlands. This will be checked by the registration officials when you apply for a residence permit.

The Netherlands has treaties regarding health insurance with all EU member states, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Turkey, Morocco, most of the countries of former Yugoslavia, Tunisia, Cape Verde Islands and Australia.

If you are insured under the national health insurance scheme of one of these countries, your insurance company can provide you with a European Health Insurance Card or an international declaration form (E-111 or E-128). Make sure you bring this card or form with you to the Netherlands, and make a number of copies. You will need the card/form to see a doctor.

If your insurance does not cover your stay in the Netherlands and you cannot make use of the international treaty described above, you will have to take out private insurance. Special policies are available for international students.

The Student Service Centre can assist in arranging medical (including liability) insurance on arrival in Wageningen but you can also arrange your medical and liability insurance in advance. We advise you to check the coverage carefully for the following:

  • medical expenses
  • emergency dental expenses
  • accidental death and dismemberment
  • individual liability for damage caused to others (known in Dutch as Aansprakelijkheid voor Particulierenverzekering)
  • personal property (loss of household contents or baggage due to e.g. theft or fire)
  • S.O.S. assistance: cost of repatriation due to serious illness or death, if not included in the health insurance or travel insurance.

Wageningen University can assist in arranging AON insurance for international students. For more information you can contact the Student Service Desk in Forum or see: Aon-Student Insurance

Liability Insurance

International students who have their own health insurance (other than the AON insurance offered by Wageningen University, which is valid in the Netherlands) are strongly advised to purchase liability insurance as a simple accident can easily cost you hundreds of euros in the Netherlands. This insurance can be bought with AON and costs around €40,- a year.

Other Insurance

Insurance to cover the costs of repatriation due to serious illness or death is also strongly recommended. This pays for special transportation and/or medical care should you need to be repatriated and often the airfare for a family member. Furthermore, it is prudent to take out insurance against theft and the cost of accidents and legal advice.

Insurance during a paid internship or job.

Dutch Basic Health Insurance

Please be informed that if you are employed in the Netherlands, you are required to take out a Dutch Basic Health insurance. A paid internship is regarded a job if it pays the minimum wage a month or more. If this is the case in your situation, you are required to take out a Dutch Basic Health insurance. Whether or not you pay taxes is irrelevant. For the calculation of the minimum wage that applies to a specific situation, please see the following tool (Only available in Dutch)

If your allowance is under the minimum wage, you don’t need to take out a Dutch Basic Health insurance, your AON student insurance will be sufficient.

You can apply for a Dutch Basic Health insurance online through AON (AON-Student Insurance). You need to do this yourself, the university can’t do this for you. Instead of AON, you can also choose any other Dutch Basic Health insurance company. Information about other companies can be found on the website of Zorgwijzer ( If you need to take out a Dutch Basic Health insurance, it is advised that you choose an insurance company that allows you to easily switch between the private insurance and the Basic Health Insurance (such as AON). If you take out a Dutch Basic Health Insurance, please make sure you terminate your student insurance policy at the Student Desk in Forum or by sending an email to

If you continue your studies after your internship has ended, you can switch back to the AON student insurance again at the Student Desk in Forum or by sending an email to

Please note that if you are obliged to take out a Dutch Basic Health insurance but you fail to do so, you may get a fine of around €370,00 and it will even increase over time.

If you want more information about which situation applies to you, please have a look at this flowchart.

Additional insurance

The Dutch Basic Healthcare insurance only covers your medical costs. You also need to be insured for liability, travel and personal property.  For this purpose, you can take out an additional private insurance, such as AON ICS Start or AON ICS Start+.  

Health care allowance

If you have a Dutch Basic Health insurance, you may be eligible for health care allowance to help cover the costs of your basic health insurance. There is more information available on the website of the Tax Office.