Migration and refugees
In the past decade, global displacement due to sudden (natural) disasters, crises and slow onset events has reached record levels. Numbers will increase even further, also because of ongoing climate change and related extreme natural events. The challenge for the future is to make sure existing systems and structures in emergency assistance and disaster relief are able to cope with this development. The complex challenges related to migration will benefit from an integrated, holistic approach. Wageningen University & Research combines different fields of expertise that address cross-cutting themes, such as Climate Change, Sustainability, Environment, Security and Health.
Publications about migration and refugees
- Altin, R., & Minca, C. (2017). Exopolis reloaded: fragmented landscapes and no man’s lands in a North-Eastern Italian border region. Landscape Research, 42(4), 385-399.
- Stojanov, R., Kelman, I., Boas, I., & Duží, B. (2017). Local Expert Experiences and Perceptions of Environmentally Induced Migration from Bangladesh To India. Asia Pacific Viewpoint
- Altin, Roberta ; Minca, C. (2016). The ambivalent camp: Mobility and excess in a quasi-carceral Italian asylum seekers hospitality centre. In: Carceral Mobilities: Interrogating movement in incarceration / Turner, Jennifer, Peters, Kimberley, London : Routledge, - p. 30 - 43
- Jansen, B. J. (2016). ‘Digging Aid’: The Camp as an Option in East and the Horn of Africa. Journal of Refugee Studies, 29(2), 149-165
- Hilhorst, D.J.M.; Hodgson, Lucy; Jansen, Bram; Mena, Rodrigo, Security guidelines for field researchers in complex, remote and hazardous places, 2016
- Huibers, C. et. Al, Integrating refugee camps with their social and natural environment, Wageningen University, December 2016
- Plug, L. B., & de Koning, J. (2016). REFUGEES AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT (bachelor thesis)
- Rooij, L.L. de, Wascher, D. Sustainable Design Principles for Refugee Camps, Wageningen Environmental Research, December 2016
- Boas, I. (2015) Climate change and migration: securitisation as a strategy in climate change politics. New York; Routledge.
- Kruijt, Robert, Duchart. I, A response to an unexpectedly long stay in the Zaatari Camp, Blauwe Kamer No. 4, p.42-42, 2015
- Minca, C. (2015). Geographies of the camp. Political Geography, 49, 74-83.
- Felder, M., Minca, C., & Ong, C. E. (2014). Governing refugee space: the quasi-carceral regime of Amsterdam's Lloyd Hotel, a German-Jewish refugee camp in the prelude to World War II. Geographica Helvetica, 69(5), 365
- Hilhorst, D.J.M.; Jansen, B.J., Humanitarian space as arena: A perspective on the everyday politics of aid, Disaster, Conflict and Society in Crises; Everyday politics of crisis response. London and New York: Routledge, 2013
- Jansen. B.J., Two decades of ordering refugees: The development of institutional multiplicity in Kenya's Kakuma refugee camp, Disaster, Conflict and Society in Crises; Everyday politics of crisis response. Londen and New York: Routledge 2013
- Mayer, B., I. Boas, J. Ewing, A. Baillait, and U.K. Das (2013) Governing Environmentally-Related Migration in Bangladesh
- Jansen, B.J., The accidental city : violence, economy and humanitarianism in Kakuma refugee camp Kenya, 2011
- Jansen., B.J., Voedsel en hulp maken van vluchtelingenstad moderne vesting, Experiment NL4 : wetenschap in Nederland, Quest ism NWO, 2011
- Minca, Claudio (2016). The Dismantlement of the ‘Jungle Camp’: Are We “Removing” the Problem?
- Biermann, F. and I. Boas (2010) Preparing for a Warmer World: Towards a Global Governance System to Protect Climate Refugees, Global Environmental Politics, 10(1): 60-88
- Jacobs, J.; Duchhart, I.; Wetering, van de J., Rediscovering the basics of landscape architecture; Green Towns Project, Kenya, 'Scape : International magazine for landscape architecture and urbanism, 2009
- Duchart, I., Designing sustainable landscapes: from experience to theory : a process of reflective learning from case-study projects in Kenya, Wageningen University, 2007
Migration and climate change
- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings