BSc minor Nutrition and Health (WUHNE)
The BSc Minor Nutrition and Health provides students with the basic knowledge on how nutrition influences health. There are many different scales that can be used to study the relationship between human nutrition and human diet, and our health. Our nutrition and our health are closely related.
Continue to an overview of the courses in this minor
For studying the relationship between human nutrition/human diet and our health, one can look at many different scales. In this BSc minor students will get basic knowledge on how nutrition influences health. They will be introduced to some of the levels (population-individual-cell/molecule) and the biomedical approaches to this domain.
After successful completion of this BSc minor students are expected to be able to:
- explain and appreciate the effect of nutrition on human health and disease;
- understand at a basic level the mechanisms underlying the effect of nutrition on human health;
- understand how this effect can be studied at the population level using epidemiological methods;
- recognize and understand the digestion and function of micro- and macro-nutrients in the human body;
- identify determinants of nutrition behaviour and food habits on an individual and social level.
This minor is interesting for WU-students of ‘biological’ BSc programmes, such as:
- BBI Biology
- BFT Food Technology
- BML Molecular Life Sciences
- BAS Animal Sciences
- BPW Plant Sciences
Also for other BSc students in comparable programmes.
Information for HBO students (Dutch)
At least VWO-level Biology AND Chemistry
Overlapping courses or content with
BVG Nutrition and Health
Dutch and English
First semester (period 1, 2 and 3)
Programme or thematic