Registration and admission procedures & criteria
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) recognises several types of PhD candidates. Although application procedures vary between these categories the entry requirements and admission criteria are the same for all.
1. Employed PhD candidates
PhD candidates who have an employment contract with Wageningen university. The are two types:
1. PhD candidates who have a temporary PhD employment contract (usually four years full time or five years part-time) for a trajectory directed to a PhD graduation within Wageningen University & Research. They do not need to pay a tuition fee.
2. A research employees of the university who do not yet have a PhD and for whom arrangements have been made designed to help them complete a doctoral research project.
2. Scholarship PhD candidates
3. Externally financed PhD candidates
Externally financed PhD candidates are employed by an institute/organisation other than WUR. The main relation with WUR is via the supervisors. There are two different types:
- PhD candidates appointed at an external research institute (for example Wageningen Research, NIOO, KNMI, TNO,ECN, etc) with a tempory PhD employment contract (usually four years full time or five years part-time) for a PhD trajectory directed to a PhD graduation at WUR.
- Employees appointed at an external research institute, with the possibility to follow a PhD trajectory in addition to the regular tasks connected to the employment contract. These include PhD candidates in a sandwich construction who are employed by an institute in their home country and those who receive WU funding for the time they spend in the Netherlands.