Step 3: How to apply for an exchange period?
Applications for the Academic Year 2023-2024
The final deadline for submitting your application for the first semester has passed (March 31st 2023). However, it is still possible to apply for one of the exchange spots that are still available for the second semester. The exchange spots left will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, under the condition that the host university application deadline has not yet passed.
The final deadline for submitting your application form for the 2nd semester is September 30th 2023, 23h59.
Before filling in the application form
- Look at the Exchange spots left list in order to identify your (max. top 3) preferred exchange destinations (including the faculty you would like to apply for, if applicable).
- Check in column A whether your choice is still available. The list will be updated on a weekly basis.
- Please note that the list shows the agreements we have with the different universities; it is possible that not all universities offer an exchange in your study field. Make sure to also check the Extra details column (column F), as some universities may have additional special requirements.
- Lookup the exchange webpage of the host university of your interest and check if the application deadline for exchange is still open.
- Make sure all your grades, including electives, are listed in your Study Progress Overview (SPO). If this is not the case (you may find some courses in the section called “Other”) please contact your Study Advisor to determine what action is needed to correct your study programme.
Prepare the following:
- Lookup the Application Code (column B) for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice in the Exchange spots left list. You will need this code when filling in your online application form.
- Identify (potential) courses that you would like to take at your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice university.
- Unlike for the first selection round, it is NOT necessary to write and upload a motivation letter and CV.
Important note: please strongly consider your application. It is very unfortunate if you are selected and decide not to go without a valid reason. It often means other people can no longer go to the university for which you were selected.
Filling in the application form
- The deadline for submitting the application form for the second semester is September 30th 2023, 23h59.
- As the Exchange spots left list is updated on a weekly basis, it is possible that your preferred choice is no longer available after applying. In this case, your 2nd or 3rd choice will be assigned to you. If none of your choices are available, you will be informed by your Departmental Exchange Coordinator.
- After you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure the information in this email is correct.
After submitting the form
You will be informed about the result of your application as soon as possible after submitting the form. Please note that this can take up to a week.
WUR travel policy and travel registration
Please be informed about our university’s travel policy here: WUR Travel policy for students.
- You are required to register your stay abroad in Osiris before you leave, in order for us to know where you are staying and how to reach you in case of emergencies.
- For other useful information please check Preparation for travel abroad – WUR.