Early in September Kurt Stüber of the Max-Planck-Institut für Züchtungsforschung, Keulen visited the section Special Collections of Wageningen UR Library. He has begun the job of scanning books for his website www.biolib.de (Eine Sammlung historischer und moderner Biologiebücher.)
Together with representatives of the website Plantaardigheden, a number of books on botany and horticulture were selected, related to the herbal books, scanned earlier for both websites, by Rembert Dodoens or Dodonaeus (16th and 17th century).
The Library gave Stüber permission to make the scans available, free of rights, for everybody, even in high resoluton, in Scientific Education and Research. In exchange the Library receives the masterscans and the related HTML-pages, for purposes of its own. In the catalogue we will include a link to the pages in question and we will make a page on www.library.wur.nl/speccol to draw special attention to those books.
Already the following works from the collection of Wageningen UR Library can be consulted on www.biolib.de:
- Carl Linnaeus, Hortus Cliffortianus, 1737 and Musa Cliffortianus, 1736
- Jan van de Groen, Den Nederlandtsen Hovenier, 1670
- Petrus Nylandt, Den Nederlandtse herbarius of kruydt-boeck, 1682
- L. Oskamp et al. . Afbeelding der artseny-gewassen, 1796-1800; pt. 1 and 2 (remainder to follow)
- De Buffon, Naturgeschichte der vierfüssigen Thiere, pt. 5 (11 pt. present)
- F. Unger, Exantheme der Pflanzen, 1833