The Coffee Gardens (TCG) works with over 500 smallholder farmers in a hard-to-reach area of the Mt.
Elgon region, Eastern Uganda. We have a micro-washing station where we produce some of the highest
quality coffee in Uganda. All our work is underpinned by our transparency and traceability systems that
allow every kilo of coffee to be traced back to the individual farmer that grew it, ensuring that they
receive 100% of their income.
Our systems also allow us to understand and track farmer performance and gaps, and provide targeted
training and support in order to achieve economic, social and environmental impact. Our goal is to
radically transform the opportunities available to our coffee farming community.
We are looking for an Intern who will work with TCG staff, farmers and partners to help achieve our key
objectives around farmer training and systems strengthening.
1. Support farmer training program (50%): work with the TCG team and partners to create a
farming activity calendar, identify the required training and inputs, develop training guides,
identify KPIs, collect and analyse data on program delivery, and prepare reports.
2. IMS upgrade (10%): make recommendations to improve our tech tools (e.g. data collection,
storage, dashboarding) to meet TCG’s evolving needs.
3. Partner digitisation support (40%): work with TCG partners to improve their agribusiness tech
systems, including needs mapping, system digitisation and user testing.
Skills & Experience Expectations
We are looking for someone with tech and project management experience who wants to develop their
practical skills while working for a social-business in East Africa. This person should be interested in
making a positive and tangible impact in the lives of smallholder farmers and in environmental protection.
● Diverse skill set: tech, data analytics, project management & stakeholder engagement
● Works independently while demonstrating excellent communication skills
● Consistently delivers to a high professional standard
● Comfortable working in a challenging, rural environment
● Experienced in facilitating meetings and consolidating diverse ideas into a comprehensive plan
● Demonstrates responsibility in both work performance and personal conduct
● Experience of the coffee value chain (or agriculture more broadly) and working in Sub-Saharan
Africa is an advantage
Practical industry and tech systems specific training will be provided, including coffee agribusiness, M&E,
agronomy and agroforestry.
● Cost of living stipend
● Housing in both Kampala and Mbale, and all work related costs (transport, communications, etc)
● Flights and travel insurance
● May develop into a full-time employment position
To apply, click here or visit https://forms.gle/k5DfbLtdh9pTPVFr5 before 31st January 2022