Press release

Wageningen University & Research once again top of the table for full-time Master’s degree programmes

March 1, 2017

Master’s programmes at Wageningen University & Research have once again earned the highest scores of all thirteen research universities in the Netherlands. Wageningen University & Research, which specialises in green and technical programmes, scored higher than all other universities offering full-time programmes, according to the latest edition of the Keuzegids Masters 2017 (‘Higher Education Guide to Master’s Degree Programmes 2017’), published today. The Keuzegids awarded the ‘top degree programme’ predicate to 23 of the 27 Master’s programmes taught at Wageningen University & Research.

The Keuzegids Masters 2017 provides an overview of all Master’s programmes taught at Dutch universities and universities of applied science. Wageningen University & Research scored 68 points, the highest total score for full-time programmes. The only institutions to score equally well or higher than Wageningen University offer mainly part-time Master’s programmes. These are the Open University (score of 73.5) and the Nyenrode (68) and TIAS (66.5) business universities.

Wageningen has 23 top programmes

The Keuzegids awards the predicate ‘top degree programme’ to programmes that score at least 76 points of a maximum score of 100 points. Of the 27 Master’s programmes at Wageningen University & Research assessed by the Keuzegids, a staggering 23 were awarded the ‘top degree programme’ predicate. This is a substantial increase compared with the 16 programmes that scored over 76 points in 2016.

The 23 top programmes at Wageningen are: Score:
Animal Sciences 80
Bioinformatics 84
Biology 80
Biosystems engineering 86
Biotechnology 82
Climate studies 76
Development and rural innovation 80
Earth and environment 82
Food quality management 76
Food safety 86
Food technology 84
Forest and nature conservation 82
Geo-information science 90
International development studies 78
International land- and water management 90
Leisure, tourism and environment 82
Management, economics and consumer studies 78
Molecular life sciences 80
Nutrition and health 80
Organic agriculture 78
Plant biotechnology 84
Plant sciences 92
Urban environmental management 78

The Keuzegids bases its evaluations for 80 percent on student assessments (the student satisfaction scores from the National Student Survey conducted by Studiekeuze123), and for the remaining 20 percent on evaluations made by the NVAO (Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders).

More information is available on the website The Keuzegids Masters 2017 is a publication of the Dutch Higher Education Information Centre (CHOI).