Projects - dr. E (Edoardo) Capuano
The food matrix can be defined as the whole of the food chemical components and their molecular relationships, i.e. chemical bonds and physical interactions. In other words, the chemical composition of food and the way those components are structurally organized at micro-, meso- and macroscopic scales (Figure 1).
FM can affect the nutritional quality and the potential health effect of food in 2 different ways: By affecting the stability of bioactive compounds during processing (including storage and cooking) and affecting the level of bioactive compounds that are available for absorption in the digestive tract.
In my research activity I investigate how to describe, predict and optimize this effect. This would help consumers in better design their meals and dietary habits as well as food industry in designing food that are able to deliver the desired level of nutrients/bioactive compounds in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fermentation of antioxidant dietary fibres
- Fighting diabetes: Technological strategies to reduce the glycaemic index of starchy foods
- Unravelling the role of cell wall encapsulation on bio-accessibility of intracellular nutrients
- Plant matrix and protein digestibility
- Tryptophan, gut microbiota and AhR
- Polyphenols as inhibitors of digestive enzymes
- Starch-polyphenols interactions
- Microbial metabolism of lipids in the gut and gut health
- Technological strategies to improve nutritional and sensorail quality of immature rice-based products
- Technological strategies to improve nutritional and sensory quality of jackbeans-based products
- Oral processing and nutrients bioavailability
- Dietary peptides and gut health
EXPLAIN: Exploring plant-based meat analogues for their Impact on healthPlant based meat analogues are a new food category with many unanswered questions. Do they fit in a healthy diet when they will be consumed more...
The influence of oral processing behaviour on nutrients (protein, starch) digestionThe influence of oral processing behaviour on nutrients (protein, starch) digestion - WUR Project The influence of oral processing behaviour on...
Insight in the metabolism of lipids by gut microbiota.Insight in the metabolism of lipids by gut microbiota. - WUR Project Insight in the metabolism of lipids by gut microbiota. Lipid metabolism by gut...
Valorisation of immature grain food products for nutritional sustainability in the sub-Saharan region: the case of Pepeta, a local rice-based food product in TanzaniaValorisation of immature grain food products for nutritional sustainability in the sub-Saharan region: the case of Pepeta, a local rice-based food...
Canavalia legumes for food securityCanavalia legumes for food security - WUR Project Canavalia legumes for food security Canavalia legumes as an indigenous resource to enhance food...
Tryptophan bacterial metabolism by intestinal microbes and its benefits.Tryptophan bacterial metabolism by intestinal microbes and its benefits. - WUR Project Tryptophan bacterial metabolism by intestinal microbes and its...
Plant cell walls structure and porosityPlant cell walls structure and porosity in relation to digestibility of legume and cereal proteins.
Fighting diabetesFighting diabetes: Technological strategies to reduce the glycaemic index of starchy foods.
Fermentation of antioxidant dietary fibresFermentation of antioxidant dietary fibres - WUR Project Fermentation of antioxidant dietary fibres Plant derived polyphenols are an important group...