Want to learn how to sell your ideas and yourself in a poster presentation? Want to know how to design an appealing poster and to enticingly pitch your poster to an audience?
This course is offered in collaboration with Wageningen Graduate Schools (WGS).
In Posters and Pitching you’ll learn how to design both an informative and an attractive poster and to create an enticing pitch for your poster. You’ll learn how to persuasively communicate your ideas to make your audience care. You ‘ll also identify your strengths and weaknesses as a presenter through individual feedback and start to develop your own pitching style.
PhD candidates and Post-docs who want to learn how to create both an appealing poster and an engaging pitch for that poster.
- Design an appealing and informative poster
- Design an enticing pitch
- Inspire and engage your audience instead of teach
- Become a passionate presenter and communicate your passion to your audience
- Learn to engage your audience in mini conversations about your research
- Learn the powerful technique of storytelling
- Give and receive constructive feedback on your posters and poster pitch.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses in poster design and pitching skills
- Learn to cope with nerves and stress
- Interact with your audience in a natural and goal-oriented way
- Develop and practise poster and pitch language
Course duration and credits
• Three 3-hour sessions
• 19 hours of self-study
• 1 ECTS
Dates and times
The Posters and Pitching course is given twice a year. Please click below for the course schedule.
- PowerPoint slides posted on Blackboard
Participants must attend all course sessions to receive a certificate.
To be admitted to this course, you need to score at least 70 on the Oxford Online Placement Test (click here to make an appointment) or to have an equivalent score on one of the following international test:
- At least 6.5 on the IELTS exam
- At least grade A on the Cambridge First exam
- At least grade C on the Cambridge Advanced exam
- At least 87 on the TOEFL exam (internet-based)
We will also accept a diploma from any English-taught Master’s programme at a Dutch university.
|Reduced fee*||€ 105|
|University fee**||€ 210|
|External fee||€ 210|
- Including course material and resit
- Excluding tea, coffee and lunch
- We only accept payment by debit or credit card
- PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK).
- Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools.
- All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement. In this case you will only be charged a € 50 cancellation fee.
You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree). In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.