Radboud Academic Test of English
RATEr is a diagnostic test of academic English. The test aims to determine whether prospective students, students and PhD candidates and other academic researchers possess the required English proficiency to follow an English-taught degree programme or to perform academic activities in an international higher education environment.
You can take the RATEr at Wageningen in’to Languages as part of your application for a master’s or minor programme at WUR. The RATEr is also an accepted test of English proficiency for the Wageningen Graduate Schools.
RATEr consists of four components:
- Reading skills and academic vocabulary
- Writing skills for an academic environment
- Speaking skills for an academic environment
- Listening skills for an academic environment
You can find more information on the right-hand side of this page.
- Current and prospective students
- PhD candidates at institutes of higher education.
Level of the test
The RATEr test is based on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) and tests from B2 to C1 level.
After taking the test, the candidate is awarded one of the following qualifications:
- Candidate has not yet mastered the B2 level
- Candidate performs successfully at the B2 level (comparable to IELTS 6.0-6.5 and TOEFL iBT 80-100)
There are no entry requirements for the test, anyone is allowed to participate. If you fail to pass one or more components of the test, it will not be possible to retake any components separately. It is, however, possible to register again for the full test. There are no discounts for re-registrations.
You can pay for the test at our front desk either before or after you take it. Should this not be possible at the time, we will send you an invoice to your home address. We will not announce any test results until we have received payment.
You can register by clicking the orange button on the right-hand side of this page. Please note that registrations close two weeks before each exam date.
Dates (Academic year 2018/2019)
- 8 November 2018 (deadline for registration: 25 October 2018)
- 16 April 2019 (deadline for registration: 2 April 2019)
- 28 May 2019 (deadline for registration: 14 May 2019)
- 4 June 2019 (deadline for registration: 21 May 2019)
- 9 July 2019 (deadline for registration: 27 June 2019)
RATEr was developed by Radboud in’to Languages and the Faculty of Arts of Radboud University Nijmegen. This test has been extensively pre-tested with various user groups and has been calibrated to the standard of other well-known international tests. RATEr has proven to be a highly reliable and useful test with a high predictive value.
If you would like to know more about RATEr or would like to start using this test, please contact our Service Centre:
T: +31 (0)317 48 25 52