Radboud Academic Test of English
RATEr is an online test of academic English. The test aims to determine whether prospective students, students and PhD candidates and other academic researchers possess the required English proficiency to follow an English-taught degree programme or to perform academic activities in an international higher education environment.
You can take the RATEr at Wageningen in’to Languages as part of your application for a master’s or minor programme at WUR. The RATEr is also an accepted test of English proficiency for the Wageningen Graduate Schools.
RATEr consists of four components:
- Reading skills and academic vocabulary
- Writing skills for an academic environment
- Speaking skills for an academic environment
- Listening skills for an academic environment
You can find more information on the right-hand side of this page.
- Current and prospective students
- PhD candidates at institutes of higher education.
Level of the test
The RATEr test is based on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) and tests from B2 to C1 level.
After taking the test, the candidate is awarded one of the following qualifications:
- Candidate has not yet mastered the B2 level
- Candidate performs successfully at the B2 level (comparable to IELTS 6.0-6.5 and TOEFL iBT 80-100)
- There are no entry requirements for the test, anyone is allowed to participate. If you fail to pass one or more components of the test, it will not be possible to retake any components separately. It is, however, possible to register again for the full test. There are no discounts for re-registrations.
Wageningen in’to Languages will announce the results by email. Please refer to the table below for the corresponding dates. The candidate will only receive the results if the payment has been made.
The course participant will receive an invoice by email once registration has closed.
Dates (Academic year 2021)
The RATEr is organized five times a year. Please find the next upcoming date below:
|Date||Deadline registration||Date test results||Note|
|27 May||20 May 12.00 h||17 June|
|3 June||27 May 12.00 h||24 June||Note: This is the last exam moment before the registration deadline for a master's study|
|8 july||1 July 12.00 h||29 July|
Please Note: It is not possible to register for both exams on 27 May and 3 June.
You can register by clicking the orange button on the right-hand side of this page. In order to participate in the online RATEr exam, the following must be in order:
RATEr was developed by Radboud in’to Languages and the Faculty of Arts of Radboud University Nijmegen. This test has been extensively pre-tested with various user groups and has been calibrated to the standard of other well-known international tests. RATEr has proven to be a highly reliable and useful test with a high predictive value.