Application self-funded PhD
The Section Economics invites self-funded PHD candidates to submit their applications by February 28, 2024. Applicants should have a strong background in economics, psychology, or history and be interested in the research of the chair groups (AEP, DEC, ENR, RHI, UEC) of the section.
Successful candidates will be enrolled in a four year PhD-programme and become a member of the Wageningen School of Social Sciences (WASS). The first year will be mainly dedicated to course work and the development of the final research proposal. Twelve to fifteen monthsfollowing the start of the phd research, the progress of the candidate will be assessed with a decision whether or not to continue the PhD trajectory.
Applicants need to submit:
- Cover letter describing your motivation to apply for a PhD at the Section Economics.
- Preliminary research proposal (approximately two pages), containing: problem definition, research questions, proposed methodology linked to the research questions, up-to-date literature references.
- References from at least two supervisors or professors. The references must contain information regarding your performance during the Master programme and should contain a reflection on your capacity to finish a PhD in the area of application.
- Curriculum Vitae, including information on education (transcript of records), research experience and, if applicable, list of publications.
- Scans of passport and Diploma’s, please read this page for more information about which documents are required.
- Applicants from a non-Anglophone country and that have not completed their higher education with English as the language of instruction, have to submit an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language. See the English language requirements for more information.
- Information on funding. The tuition fees are 24,000.00 Euro in total. The candidate should have at his/her disposal Euro 1.200 per month net to cover the costs of living when in the Netherlands. An indicative budget for a four year PhD at Wageningen University can be found here.
All applications will be assessed and candidates informed about their application by the end of March, 2024. Successful applicants are expected to start their PhD September 1st, 2024. Incomplete applications will not be further considered.
An overview of procedures from PhD application to the final phase can be found here