Managing Risk in the Face of Climate Change
Do you want to become a change manager and enhance your capacity to encourage communities, governments and businesses to adapt climate-related hazards? In this course, we focus on climate-related disasters such as floods, cyclones, storm surges and drought and the question of how vulnerabilities and exposure to natural hazards can be reduced to build resilient communities.
What will you learn?
This course includes:
- A general introduction & conceptual foundation to Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Management (DRM), and the link between CCA and DRM;
- Ways to examine how to integrate CCA and DRM;
- Learnings on how to ‘frame’ the problem -tools for examining the perspectives of different stakeholders over the priority given for disaster risk and climate change;
- Learnings on how to ‘frame’ possible solutions – e.g. intervention tools;
- Lessons on how to influence policies for CCA and DRM – practising communicating interventions.
For whom is this course?
This training programme is designed for managers, policymakers, specialists and researchers who are professionally involved in the management of risks and hazards and climate change. Participants may work in public and civic society sectors, for universities, national research or development programmes, for government organisations or NGOs. You need at least 3 years of professional experience and proficiency in English is required.
Course programme in more detail
|Duration||Part-time / 9 weeks|
|Programme||3 hour live sessions, twice a week at the start during intro and concepts|
|Break||1 week break: 10-14 April|
Rapid and unplanned urbanization, the growing number and magnitude of disasters globally, and the uncertainty over climatic variations are factors which increase the exposure and vulnerability of communities, their livelihoods, physical infrastructure and economic networks.
Our courses are offered in two formats: online or blended. A course taught in a blended format is taught partially online and partially in person. Check the course details for more information about whether it is taught in online or blended format.
Experiences of professionals
Application for this course
On top of this page you can apply for the course 'Managing Risk in the Face of Climate Change. Depending on your nationality, your organisation and the type of course you wish to join, your eligibility and the application procedures may differ. Find out more about the requirements and the application process.