Nitrogen (N) is an essential macronutrient, affecting plant growth, crop production and photosynthesis. N deficient plants show retarded growth in shoot and root, and pale colour of light green or yellow in older leaves. Currently EU agriculture is generally using a surplus of N fertilization, causing several problems, such as N leaching to groundwater and over-fertilization of surface waters.
Therefore it would be advantageous to use crop varieties which are more efficient in using N. This project aims to unravel the genetics of N use efficiency (NUE), which can be defined as weight or product yield per available N in soil, in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- 2009-Present: PhD candidate, Plant Genetics, Plant Sciences, Wageningen University
- 2007-2009: MSc, Biological Sciences and Bioengineering (BIO), Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences (FENS), Sabanci University (SU), Istanbul, TURKEY
- M.S. Thesis: Antioxidant capacity of selenium enriched wheat and its effect on mammalian cells.
- M.S. Thesis Advisor: Prof Dr. İsmail Çakmak
- 2002-2007: BSc, BIO, FENS, SU, Istanbul, TURKEY
- 1995-2002: Saint Joseph French High School, Izmir, TURKEY