From January 2014 onwards the subscription to the literature databases 'Communication & Mass Media Complete' and 'Historical abstracts' is discontinued.
- Costs per database and number of searches in each database
- Overlap in coverage (between the different databases on the EBSCO platform as well as with Scopus). Coverage is based upon lists of covered journals that are provided by EBSCO
- Coverage of journals that the library subscribes to
- Coverage of journals to which Wageningen UR has cited in their (recent) publications
- Information in the bibliographies on other document types than scientific articles
- Specific functionalities per database
Based upon this evaluation, three bibliographies (Gender studies, Communication & Mass Media Complete and Historical abstracts) showed minor performance on high costs, large overlap in coverage with other databases or less functionalities. The Library has consulted users of the databases (chair groups of the Social sciences groups) to check if these databases could be missed. Based upon the reactions as well as the evaluation it has been decided to discontinue the bibliographies 'Communication & Mass Media Complete' and 'Historical abstracts' from January 2014 onwards.