Are you working with small-scale aquaculture producers who want to access inputs, improve production and connect successfully with more remunerative markets by means of collective actions? This course focuses on empowerment and professionalization of fish farmers’ business organisations, with responsible and inclusive growth of the aquaculture sector as main objective.
What will you learn?
In this course, you will learn about:
- Global aquaculture situation: drivers, trends, challenges and opportunities;
- Position of small-scale aquaculture producers: perspectives and challenges;
- Obtaining the required inputs and finance for business development;
- Producing quality fish and other aquatic products in a responsible way;
- Creating value and access to markets;
- Relations with public and private actors that have a direct or indirect stake in aquaculture sector development;
- The role of aquaculture producer organizations in terms of service provision for members and business partners;
- The challenges for the management and performance of aquaculture producer organizations;
- Development of aquaculture small producer-inclusive programs.
For whom is this course?
Professionals interested in the promotion of small producer-inclusive aquaculture business, professionals working for aquaculture producer organizations, governmental organizations, private sector, civil society organizations, universities, research, training and extension.
Course programme in more detail
On a global scale aquaculture has shown a steady growth in the past decades. Seafood products from aquaculture production are now equal to the amount supplied by capture fisheries, The global demand for fish or aquatic products is driven by population growth and a growing awareness of the positive impact of consumption of aquatic products on human health. In Europe and North America the local production and supply of fishery products are not sufficient to meet the demand. In response to this demand, fish and other seafood have become very important export commodities for countries in East, South and S.E. Asia.
Courses are currently online
Our courses are currently online. Check the course details more information about the online course format.
Application for this course
On top of this page you can apply for the course 'Aquaculture Smallholder Business Development'. Depending on your nationality, your organisation and the type of course you wish to join, your eligibility and the application procedures may differ. Find out more about the requirements and the application process.