This course in an introductory course covering different skills that are necessary for successful pursuit of your PhD. The course consists of the following topics:
Reflection on necessary skills
The course provides an overview of the necessary skills every academic research should have. Participants reflect and prioritize what they think is essential for them.
Doing research can be stressful and managing stressful situations properly is vital for your success. This course covers the important aspects of how stress is triggered and what you can do to reduce stress.
Effective communication is vital to achieving your goals. In this course the mindful communication framework is used to practice effective communication.
Supervision is an important part of your PhD. As a PhD candidate your will be supervised and will be supervising as well. This course covers the essential aspects of supervision which are then practiced with a real supervisor.
Effective meetings and negotiation
Meetings and negotiation are not always fun to attend and organise. Yet they are necessary. In this course a framework for effective meetings and negotiations is covered and practiced.
Giving and receiving constructive feedback
In this course the OEPS framework for giving and receiving feedback is covered and practiced. The OEPS framework is simple yet effective.
Juggling different tasks and responsibilities can become stressful if not managed properly. In this course the Getting Things Done (GTD) framework will be covered and practiced.
- You have an overview of the various skills needed for effective academic research
- You understand how stress is triggered
- You can reflect on your own personal stress triggers and come up with ways to deal with stressful situations
- You understand the mindful communication framework
- You can use the mindful communication framework in various settings
- You have an overview of the expectations regarding supervision. Both being a supervisor and a supervisee
- You understand the mechanism of meetings and communication techniques that can be used in the various stages of meetings to make meetings more constructive.
- You can use the OEPS framework to give and receive feedback
- You know how to handle negative feedback
- You understand the GTD framework and can use that in your daily work.
|WIAS PhDs with a TSP||Free|
|Other WUR PhDs, postdocs and WUR staff||€220|