We are looking for
Are you the researcher that has an affinity with genomic prediction and programming? Are you a pro-active, collaborative, client and result-oriented person? Do you want to work at the centre of excellence for all national and international animal breeding and genomics activities of Wageningen University & Research? Then this position could be the one you are looking for. We like to get in contact with you.
As a researcher, you will develop new models for genetic analyses and perform research, primarily aimed at routine genomic evaluation. You will work in a team of researchers that develops new features for sophisticated breeding programs and applies these in commercially available software packages (for example MiXBLUP). You will be involved in providing service to organizations that use this software for their routine genetic analyses. You may contribute to the development of innovative research proposals and scientific papers.
You collaborate with:
- researchers from within the department;
- industry partners and end-users;
- researchers from within Wageningen University & Research and from (inter)national knowledge institutes.
- A PhD in animal genetics, genomics, computational biology or computational science, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of work experience in one of the research areas described above.
- A solid understanding of animal genetics, genomics, biology.
- A scientific publication record in one or more of the research areas.
- Be able to analyse large complex (genomics) data sets, have programming skills (modern Fortran, C/C++, or similar).
- Ability to work in a team of diverse scientists and multi-disciplinary teams and in a multi-cultural environment.
- Contacts in relevant national and international networks.
- Experience in acquisition of research projects and new end users for our software is preferred.
- You have the skills required to work in or lead project teams that may include stakeholders and partners.
- You have good organizational and excellent communication skills.
- Strong oral and written English skills (This position requires an excellent English language proficiency (CEFR C1 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page).
- Key competences: pro-active, collaborative, flexible, studious, team-worker, client and result oriented.
We offer a position for 2 years with the possibility an extension. Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- 8% holiday allowance in May;
- a fixed December bonus of 3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. We offer, depending on your experience, a competitive salary of between € 3.336,- and € 5.892,- for a full-time working week of 36 hours, in accordance with the CLA Wageningen Research
(scale 11/12), but a contract for 32 hours can be discussed.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief
, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page
contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
Do you want more information?
For more information about this position, please contact Yvette de Haas: tel. +31 (0)317 480505, email@example.com
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button
on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including April 11, 2021.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusive webpage
. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment
The mission of Wageningen University and Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.
With its roughly 30 branches, 6.500 employees and 12.500 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of Wageningen’s unique approach. WUR has been named Best Employer in the Education category for 2019-2020.
These are the points our employees list as good reasons to come work at WUR: read the 5 reasons to come work at WUR.
We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.