The project aims at increasing the uptake speed of standards, certification systems, labels and data sheets for bio-based products. The application of these by a large number of players in the European bio-based product industry has positive long-term effects on the overall development of bio-based product markets.
The project aims at increasing the uptake speed of standards, certification systems, labels and data sheets for bio-based products. The application of these by a large number of players in the European bio-based product industry has positive long-term effects on the overall development of bio-based product markets. Trade barriers are reduced and the development of a pan-European market for biobased products is promoted. Higher quality, recognition and sustainability of bio-based products increase the satisfaction of end-users at all levels and the economic viability of bio-based products' utilisation, e.g. through increased awareness of the life cycle advantages. Finally, public acceptance of bio-based products is increased through ensuring, verifying and visualizing the sustainable sourcing of raw materials, the effective bio-content, the end-of-life options and clear indication of their (comparative) functionality in relation to the regular products. These positive effects will indirectly result in faster growth of the bio-based product industry and increased share of bio-based in the total use of final (consumer) products and intermediates up to 2020 and beyond. The proposed programme will promote these positive effects by facilitating the development and improvement of standards, labels, product information lists and their related certification systems.
Target output and impact
- Development of a standard test method and test data for completion into a generally applicable European Standard for bio-based content measurement in bio-based products.
- Development of a complete set of standard test methodologies for mechanical, chemical, thermal and other functionalities of the major bio-based products, i.e. bio-polymers, - lubricants, -surfactants, and –solvents.
- Development of standard test methods, including validation data, for the testing of the biodegradability of bio-based products in soil, fresh water and marine environments.
- Development of draft horizontal test method standards, including validation, for centralized composting, for home and farm composting and for biogasification of bio-based products.
- Define further improvements of the Ecolabel criteria as to make them compatible with bio-based product criteria in accordance with the developed standards on functionality and sustainability criteria.
- Development of the adequate interaction tool for business-to-business and business-to-consumer information exchange.