Use the skills and knowledge gained in the Biobased Sciences for Sustainability MicroMasters Program to design a sustainable biobased process and evaluate the technological, societal and economic impact.
Content of the course
In this capstone project, you will focus on designing a sustainable Biobased process. The emphasis of the project is on conversion. You will design a process from biomass to a finished product and discuss your choices for a catalyst, reactor type, organism and feedstock. You should be able to discuss your choices in the broad picture of sustainability while emphasising the conversion aspects of the process.
The final product in this capstone project is a written report.
What you'll learn
Students will be able to:
- Design a sustainable biobased process.
- Choose an appropriate catalyst for the process and discuss the consequences of that catalyst on the process.
- Choose an appropriate organism for the process and discuss the consequences.
- Choose the appropriate feedstock for your biobased process and discuss the consequences.
- Calculate the mass balance of the process.
This MOOC is part of the MicroMasters Biobased Sciences for Sustainability, which is a program that enables you to discover new resources and help your company make the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources. Learn more.