Seminar: Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 June 2018 Masterclass urbanization: 20 June (09.30—12.30)
Venue: Wageningen University, Wageningen (campus; Orion Building) Organised by Centre for Space, Place and Society (CSPS) Organising team (SDC and GEO): Robert Coates, Martijn Duineveld, Dik Roth, Pieter de Vries, Jeroen Warner.
The world is rapidly urbanizing. While some see urbanization as an opportunity for more efficiently planned development or even ‘sustainable growth’, more critical voices see it as a site of extreme differences between rich and poor, new forms of capitalist expansion, lack of basic public services, and exclusion of growing slum populations. Simultaneously, the contemporary urban condition is typically marked by the degradation of ecologically more diverse spaces, including forests, soils and watersheds, resulting in socially uneven landscapes of hazard. Characterized, then, by flows of people, goods, resources, ideas, ideals and ambitions as well as by the ruptures and (dis)continuities of hazard and disaster alongside place-based practices of socio-political organization and mobilization, urbanization and urban spaces mean different things to different people.
Short program overview:
- Keynote lecture 1: Prof. Dr. Erik Swyngedouw (University of Manchester)
- Keynote lecture 2: Prof. Dr. Anja Nygren (University of Helsinki)
- THEME 1: The urban as hazardous environment (Dr. Markus Keck, Dr. Maartje van Eerd, Dr. Çaglar Akgüngör, Dr. Michelle Kooij, Prof. Patrick Pigeon)
- THEME 2: Urbanization and peri-urban water security (Prof. M. Shah Alam Khan, Anushiya Shrestha, Prof. Dr. Vishal Narain, Monica Priya)
- THEME 3: The urban as a seat of socio-political movements (Dr. Martijn Duineveld, Dr. Pieter de Vries, Dr. Flavio de Souza)
- Keynote lecture 3: Dr. Farhana Sultana (Syracuse University)
- Panel discussion, closure and drinks
Masterclass: researching the urban (9.30-12.30)
Full program and registration:
- Participation in seminar and masterclass (for students) is free
- Registration payment (35 Euro) to cover expenses for lunches (two days) and final drinks (after day 2); for method of payment, see information on the CSPS website!