Are you a professional in the food industry and do you want to strengthen your expertise and knowledge about how to structure foods by processes involving temperature, and how to apply edible barriers?
In this online master's course the physics related to heating and cooling and the chemical potentials in multiphase products are studied. Since this online course is part-time, you will be able to combine study and work and enhance your career.
Content of the course
This course aims at presenting ways to structure foods by processes involving temperature, i.e., heating or cooling. Students will learn about the existing production processes of temperature-structured food products and get understanding about the relevant underlying physics and chemistry. Another focus of the course is on the design on edible barriers, and on the assessment of the efficiency of such barriers. Here, the role of differences in chemical potential on the transport phenomena occurring in multiphase food products will be emphasized.
Knowledge clips and online tutorials.
You will learn to
- Explain the current temperature-based processes used for the production of complex food products.
- Explain the relevant physics related to those processes.
- Design relevant temperature-based processes for complex food products.
- Explain the consequences of differences in chemical potential for transport phenomena occurring inside multiphase food products.
- Analyse the role of the chemical potential in those products.
When you want to learn more about physics for food structure, other courses are interesting for you too! You can deepen your knowledge in a specific career field, without following a complete Master programme. You can register for any combination, but these are our suggestions:
• Food Structuring – Structuring by Deformation, Properties of Interfacial Systems (strongly recommended)
• Advanced Food Physics – Rheology and Fracture of Soft Solids (strongly recommended)
After completion of two or more courses there is a unique opportunity to apply what you have learned. You can start a capstone project in consultation with a Wageningen expert in the field. It is a tailor-made project, where you will write a short paper about your results and conclusions. During this work you will be coached by the expert. Price: €1,230,-.
The language of instruction of this course is in English. Admission to the course requires a level of English as defined at the website for Dutch nationals, EU nationals or nationals outside EU/EFTA respectively.
You can complete the course(s) with an exam (not obligatory) or a capstone project. When completed successfully this will be mentioned on your certificate (included in the price).