Are you a professional in the food industry and do you want to strengthen your expertise and knowledge about food toxicology?
In this online master's course you will study the toxicity of avoidable chemicals in food and learn about risk assessments. Since this online course is part-time, you will be able to combine study and work and enhance your career.
Content of the course
This course will provide an overview of the basic unavoidable chemicals in food that require toxicity data to support their safe use. This includes compounds like contaminants including persistent organic pollutants and heavy metals, natural toxins like mycotoxins and phytotoxins, and products from heating of food. Unavoidable chemicals in food may include genotoxic carcinogens for which the risk assessment has to be performed in a specific way. The course will explain how a risk assessment can be performed for the different type of unavoidable chemicals in food.
- Knowledge clips to explain the basic principles
- Distance tutorials on exercises related to risk and safety assessment of unavoidable chemicals in food and use of the relevant models
- Distance e-learning materials: both simple and complex further examples related to risk and safety assessment of unavoidable chemicals in food and use of the relevant models
You will learn to
- Understand the difference between avoidable and unavoidable chemicals of concern in food.
- The type of unavoidable chemicals that are relevant to consider.
- Perform their own risk and safety assessment on unavoidable chemicals in food.
- Perform risk assessment for both non genotoxic and genotoxic carcinogens.
When you want to learn more about food safety and quality, other courses are interesting for you too! You can deepen your knowledge in a specific career field, without following a complete Master programme. You can register for any combination, but these are our suggestions:
• Food Toxicology - Toxicity and Risk Assessment of Avoidable Chemicals in Food (strongly recommended)
• Advanced Food Microbiology - Minimal Processing, Preservation and Fermentation
• Advanced Food Microbiology - Tools for Safety Management
After completion of two or more courses there is a unique opportunity to apply what you have learned. You can start a capstone project in consultation with a Wageningen expert in the field. It is a tailor-made project, where you will write a short paper about your results and conclusions. During this work you will be coached by the expert. Price: €1,230,-.
The language of instruction of this course is in English. Admission to the course requires a level of English as defined at the website for Dutch nationals, EU nationals or nationals outside EU/EFTA respectively.
You can complete the course(s) with an exam (not obligatory) or a capstone project. When completed successfully this will be mentioned on your certificate (included in the price).