IMPORTANT UPDATE JANUARY 2021: Due to the pandemic restrictions, we had to postpone once again the course. Therefore, March 2021 edition is moved to 21-25 June 2021.
At this moment the course is fully booked. You can still sign up by contacting Paolo Di Lonardo. You will be in a waiting list. If a place becomes available, we will let you know.
Course General Description:
Soils deliver a range of soil functions; primary productivity, nutrient cycling, a habitat for biodiversity, water regulation and purification and the breakdown of soil organic matter, which can contribute to climate regulation.
Soil biota play an important role in regulating and controlling many of the processes which support these five soil functions. Therefore we need to know which biological methods to apply, to be able to understand the role of soil biodiversity in soil functions. It is also important to know how these biological measures relate to the varying chemical and physical conditions found in soils and the effect of management and climate.
Wageningen University is organising a laboratory skills course to define which measurements of soil biology are relevant for which soil functions. This course will provide the participants with an overview of a range of methods related to the five soil functions and will provide detailed practical training in a subset of measures. The training will be a combination of lectures, laboratory and field sessions. Assessing a range of measurement types, from simple visual assessments in the field, to training in microscope identification techniques for nematodes and earthworms, and functional measures in the lab such as MicroResp.
It is a 5 day course, providing a mixture of interactive lectures and practical sessions each day. All methods described in the course will be made available to participants as well as advice on how to analyse the data.
We do not have any spot left for March edition. You can still sign up but you will be in the waiting list.
*The reduced fee applies to BSc and MSc students, PhD candidates, staff of public (national) institutes and organisations based in ODA-listed countries.
Cancellation terms participants
- Up to 4 (four) weeks prior to the start of the course, cancellation is free of charge*
- Up to 2 (two) weeks prior to the start of the course, the participant will be refunded 50% of the full participation costs*
- In case of cancellation within two weeks prior to the start of the course, the participant is liable to pay 100% of the full participation costs
- If you do not show at all, a fee of € 750,- will nevertheless be charged.
* The participant is liable to pay an administration fee of 40 euro, which will be deducted from the amount to be refunded.