Do you find it difficult to write a text? Do you think your texts sometimes do not convey your message? How can you ensure that your style and choice of words are professional and your arguments persuasive? This course will help you answer these questions and optimise your writing skills!
Academic Writing is for everyone who wants to study abroad or is working on a master’s thesis, or anyone looking to improve their academic writing skills.
- Academic Writing: B1 to B2
- Academic style
- Titles, introductions, paragraph structure
- British and American spelling
- How to use a dictionary
- Writing letters, e-mails and abstracts
You will analyse and comment on texts that you and your fellow course participants’ wrote. Additionally, you work on assignments and you consult literature.
This course meets once a week for 13 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and 45 minutes. You should expect to spend 2 to 3 hours on homework each week.
Dates and times
|8 March||14 June||Thursday||19.30 - 21.15 hrs.|
- Longman Academic Writing Series 4: Essays (5th Edition)
Optional (yet recommended):
- Essential Grammar in Use, with answers + CD-Rom, fourth edition (Raymond Murphy)
These books are available at the WUR shop in the Forum building on the Wageningen University & Research campus.
You receive a Wageningen in’to Languages certificate when you complete the course.
|BSc/MSc WUR Students||€ 90|
|WUR Employees||€ 400|
|Regular fee||€ 450|
- Excluding course material
- We only accept payment by debit or credit card
Prior to registration: placement test
New course participants are obliged to take the free Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) to ensure that they are placed in the right course. Academic Writing requires an OOPT score between 40 and 59.
- Please note: your registration cannot be confirmed without a placement test result. Arrange an OOPT appointment through our online calendar.
If you cannot attend your appointment, please call us at +31 (0) 317 48 25 52 or email us at email@example.com.
- Please note: it is not possible to cancel your appointment online. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please call us at +31 (0)317 48 25 52) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.