Are you currently writing a text? Your texts might not always convey the message you intended. What to write and what not to write? What is the appropriate way of addressing a colleague, supervisor or client? How to make sure your style and choice of words help you come across in a professional manner? How to make your arguments persuasive? This course will help you answer these questions and optimise your writing skills. Classes take place on the Wageningen University & Research Campus, in the Forum building.
Academic Writing II is for anyone who is currently writing a master’s thesis or a comparable large text. If you are not currently writing such a text you will be asked to write a review on a few articles in your field during the course.
Academic Writing II: B2 to C1
- British and American spelling
- How to use a dictionary
- Titles, introductions, paragraph structure
- Academic writing style
You will analyse and comment on texts that you and your fellow course participants’ wrote. Additionally, you work on assignments and you consult literature.
This course meets once a week for 13 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and 45 minutes. You should expect to spend 2 to 3 hours on homework each week.
Dates and times
|Group A||15 March||21 June||Thursday||17.30 - 19.15 hrs.|
|Group B||15 March||21 June||Thursday||17.30 - 19.15 hrs.|
Participants do not need to purchase material for this course.
You receive a Wageningen in'to Languages certificate when you complete the course.
|BSc/MSc WUR Students||€ 90|
|WUR Employees||€ 400|
|Regular fee||€ 450|
- Excluding course material
- We only accept payment by debit or credit card
New course participants are obliged to take the free Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) and submit a written text to ensure that they are placed in the right course.
Please note: your registration cannot be confirmed without a placement test result or a writing assessment. If you have completed the Academic Writing course last semester, you don't have to meet these requirements.
Prior to registration: placement test and writing assessment
- Placement test
Academic Writing II requires an OOPT score of 60 to 80. Arrange an OOPT appointment through our online calendar. If you cannot attend your appointment, please call us at +31 (0) 317 48 25 52 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You cannot cancel the appointment online.
- Writing assessmentYou are to write a short essay of 250-300 words on a topic related to your field of study. Please structure your essay and use accurate and appropriate language so that your text will flow from one idea to the other.
Tips for the writing assessment
Before sending in your text, read your draft and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does your text have a clear introduction and conclusion?
- Have you used either blocked parapgraphs or indented ones?
- Have you checked your word choice to make sure the words/phrases are familiar to an educated reader not in your field, and that they are not too informal?
- Have you met the word count requirements (in this case, 300 words max.)?
- Have you checked the spelling using the spelling checker?
- Have you checked for sentences that are either too long or that are incomplete?
Please send your assignment to email@example.com within a week after registration. Our teachers will grade your assignment with a mark between 1-5. If you score 3.5 or higher, you may follow the course. If you score below 3.5, we advise you to register for our Academic Writing course.
Your registration cannot be confirmed without a placement test result and a graded assignment.