Wageningen University & Research group BioSensing & Diagnostics (BSD) develops various rapid and simple (immuno)assay formats, such as one-step lateral flow assays and microarrays. In these assays proprietary nanoparticles are being used as coloured labels to generate the test signals. The diagnostic methods can be used to detect all kinds of components such as proteins (biomarkers, food allergens), microorganisms, specific RNA/DNA sequences, toxins, contaminants (antibiotics/pesticides), toxic plasticizers and other quality-determining components.
Track record BSD
BSD, part of Wageningen University & Research, has over 20 years of experience in the development of diagnostic assays. The group has participated in a great number of (inter)national (EU-)projects, often in close collaboration with small and medium-sized enterprises and is well experienced in performing bilateral, confidential projects with companies. BSD is technology-oriented and has operated in fields ranging from agriculture to health care.
BSD focuses on the following technologies:
- Lateral flow, slide-based and ELISA immuno- and enzyme assays
- Coloured (visible, fluorescent, chemiluminescent) nanoparticles and sol-gels that can be used as detection principle and include highly fluorescent lanthanoid-chelate complexes in silica sol-gels
- Inkjet printing of picoliter volumes of biomolecules and nanoparticles on various surfaces
Read more about our technologies
BSD has developed diagnostic methods in projects that addressed, for example:
- Microorganisms such as food and human pathogens Escherichia coli O157, Listeria, Legionella, Salmonella, Campylobacter, MRSA and malaria species and the Tulip Virus X, Dickeya and Pectobacterium as plant pathogens
- Aero-allergens such as alpha-amylase in bakeries
- Soybean (chymo)trypsin inhibitors; antinutritional compounds
- Antibiotics (penicillins, aminoglycosides)
- Plasticizers (phthalates) that may migrate into food products
- Phytoregulators such as forchlorfenuron (CPPU) for application in kiwi fruits and grapes
What BSD can offer
BSD is offering the following skills and expertise:
- Development of diagnostic assays, especially rapid and/or multi-analyte formats such as lateral flow and microarray devices
- Consultancy with respect to the analysis of industrial processing chain hazards and/or critical control points
- In close consultation with the customer the choice of the right analytes/targets to meet the criteria and requirements, as set by the customer, to solve the safety or quality issue identified
- Development of diagnostic assays for which the eventual application is leading
- Implementation of newly developed diagnostic assays in the workplace and with customer's personnel.