Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) shipped with on-board sensors have become an effective remote sensing (RS) tool in agriculture. They have been used mainly for image surveying and there are still many helpful aerial RS application to develop. Working with UAV it’s an added valuable point for any professional who wishes to succeed in this competitive market. Herein, you will have the opportunity to work in a novel and ambitious project with UAV applied to environmental monitoring.
The pollution effects in the human health and environment has been a matter of concern in the last decade. The pollution is determinate by the air quality index (AQI). The AQI is measured using near-ground sensor technologies. This study aim to study how feasible it is to use UAV shipped with an electrochemical sensors to estimate the AQI in a farming site.
The aim of this project is to study the potential of UAV for air pollution monitoring. This will be achieved within the main steps: 1) Review of the state-of-the arte in air quality monitoring technologies; 2) Design the experimental setup; 3) Field tests, data processing and analysis
- Qijun Jiang, Frank Kresin, Arnold K. Bregt, et al., “Citizen Sensing for Improved Urban Environmental Monitoring,” Journal of Sensors, vol. 2016, Article ID 5656245, 9 pages, 2016.
- Mijling, B., Jiang, Q., de Jonge, D., and Bocconi, S.: Practical field calibration of electrochemical NO2 sensors for urban air quality applications, Atmos. Meas. Tech. Discuss., doi:10.5194/amt-2017-43, in review, 2017
- Villa, T.F.; Gonzalez, F.; Miljievic, B.; Ristovski, Z.D.; Morawska, L. An Overview of Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for Air Quality Measurements: Present Applications and Future Prospectives. Sensors 2016, 16, 1072.
- UAV enthusiast
- Willing for learning novel software and hardware tools
- Excited to work in robotics
Theme(s): Sensing & measuring