Usually student eating is a communal activity: with your roommates, with your fraternity or sorority, with your fellow students or with your committee. The question then is, how to quickly and easily cook a tasty meal for a large number of people? This chapter offers you ample recipes of that kind.
Here is one recipe you can try. For more recipes, you can buy the cookbook Food for Students from September 2 at the beach club, in the WUR shop and in the webshop for €14.95.
- 300 g rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g chicken fillet, in cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, halved and sliced
- 1 large tin peaches in syrup
- 1 tin tomato paste
- Boil the rice following the instructions on the wrapper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying-pan and fry the chicken cubes until cooked and golden brown. Halfway during this process, add the onion, leek and garlic.
- Drain the peaches, keeping back the syrup. Cut them in small slices.
- Add the tomato paste to the chicken mixture with some peach syrup. Add the rice and season with pepper, salt and sambal.
- Carefully mix in the sliced peaches and heat for 1 more minute.
TipVary this dish by adding sweet pepper and spring onion.
Anouk Andeweg, The Netherlands, MSc Nutrition and Health