Students often have to perform, whether it be for an exam or for a sports event. A hearty breakfast, a tasty and healthy snack or shake will help you increase your performance.
Here is one recipe you can try. For more recipes, you can buy the cookbook Food for Students from September 2 at the beach club, in the WUR shop and in the webshop for €14.95.
Quinoa Power BreakfastServes 4
- 150 g quinoa
- 500 ml soy almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 grated carrot
- 40 g almond flakes
- 2 tsp honey
- 5 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 5 dried figs, finely chopped
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water and drain. Bring the quinoa with the milk and the cinnamon to the boil in a saucepan. Lower the heat, put on the lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes add and stir in the grated carrot.
- Meanwhile, roast the almond flakes in a dry frying-pan on moderate heat for 2 minutes until brown. Take care, because the browning may suddenly turn into burning. Spread the almond flakes on a plate to cool.
- Mix the quinoa porridge with the honey, apricots, figs, and half of the roasted almond flakes. Divide the porridge into 4 bowls and garnish with the remaining roasted almonds.
TipsGrated coconut is a very tasty addition!
Other varieties of milk can be used.
Jessie Eerens, the Netherlands, MSc Nutrition and Health