RAAIS (Rapid Appraisal of Agricultural Innovation Systems) facilitates the analysis of (1) interactions between different dimensions, levels and stakeholder dynamics of complex agricultural problems, (2) innovation capacity in agrifood systems and (3) the existence and performance of the agricultural innovation system.
RAAIS can thereby provide specific Entry Points for innovation to address concrete problems experienced by farmers and other agripreneurs in a specific locality, but it can also provide more generic Entry Points for innovation to address constraints faced by policymakers and other scaling actors at higher levels. RAAIS is a tool that can facilitate going from a broad Entry Theme towards more specific Entry Points for productivity, natural resource management (NRM) and institutional innovation.
There are several materials you can download:
- The RAAIS Toolkit (1st edition)
- The RAAIS Toolkit (2nd edition)
- The RAAIS Sessions
- The Workshop guide for note-taking
- The Analysis template
- The Post-workshop questionnaire
- Schut, M., Klerkx, L., Rodenburg, J., Kayeke, J., Raboanarielina, C., Hinnou, L.C., Adegbola, P.Y., van Ast, A., Bastiaans, L., 2015. RAAIS: Rapid Appraisal of Agricultural Innovation Systems (Part I). A diagnostic tool for integrated analysis of complex problems and innovation capacity. Agricultural Systems 132, 1-11. Available online (open access): www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308521X14001115
- Schut, M., Rodenburg, J., Klerkx, L., Kayeke, J., van Ast, A., Bastiaans, L., 2015. RAAIS: Rapid Appraisal of Agricultural Innovation Systems (Part II). Integrated analysis of parasitic weed problems in rice in Tanzania. Agricultural Systems 132, 12-24. Available online: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308521X14001255
- Schut, M., Rodenburg, J., Klerkx, L., Hinnou, L.C., Kayeke, J.,
Bastiaans, L., 2015. Participatory appraisal of institutional and political constraints and opportunities for innovation to address parasitic weeds in rice. Crop Protection 74, 158-170. Available online: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261219415300132
- Schut, M., van Asten, P., Okafor, C., Hicintuka, C., Mapatano, S., Nabahungu, N.L., Kagabo, D., Muchunguzi, P., Njukwe, E., Dontsop-Nguezet, P.M., Sartas, M., Vanlauwe, B., 2016. Sustainable intensification of agricultural systems in the Central African Highlands: the need for institutional innovation. Agricultural Systems 145, 165-176. Available online:
- Barrett, T., Feola, G., Krylova, V., Khusnitdinova, M., 2017. The application of Rapid Appraisal of Agricultural Innovation Systems (RAAIS) to agricultural adaptation to climate change in Kazakhstan: A critical evaluation. Agricultural Systems 151, 106-113. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308521X16303778.