Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is an automatic identification method, relying on storing and remotely retrieving data using devices called RFID tags or transponders.
Through radio waves it can identify material for self service, anti-theft and collection management. The library will apply this technique to safeguard its possessions and be able to process information on books etc, more easily.
The system will be put into use in the Leeuwenborch Library in October 2006 and in 2007 in the Forum Library as well. By the application of RFID the services to the customers will greatly improve.
In reality this means that:
- You may borrow and return books in a user-friendly way, without interference
from library staff
- Borrowing will also be possible easily during low-service opening hours,
when only a single qualified employee will be present. Especially for the future
Forum library this will be of importance
- Staff will have more time to assist you and provide information
- The collection will be more complete as the high security level will
further restrict the possibilities of theft
- Faster and easier collection management. As a result, fewer books will be
stored in the wrong place and the books you are looking for will be easier to