An article of Emanuele Bigagli: Is it possible to implement a complex adaptive systems approach for marine systems? The experience of Italy and the Adriatic Sea, has been published in Ocean & Coastal Management, Volume 149, Pages 81–95.
- This paper evaluates the implementation of the MSFD in the Adriatic Sea.
- The MSFD is the first policy for marine complex adaptive systems in the EU.
- Ecological and jurisdictional boundaries overlap and cross-border cooperation is low.
- Integrative assessments of marine systems may be impossible to achieve.
- Relative isolation of theoretical approaches and management practices.