We are looking for
Are you passionate about safe food and toxicology? Are you strong in developing and coaching professionals? Do you know how to find a good balance between organizational and team needs? Are you someone who can connect stakeholders? We have a vacancy for a research manager Toxicology!
Wageningen Food Safety Research conducts research into safe and reliable food and feed. We are specialists in (forensic) measurement and we develop analytical methods to detect undesirable substances in food and feed. The Toxicology team conducts research into New Approach Methodologies (NAMs) to study the kinetics and hazards of substances without animal experimentation. Researchers in the team advise national and international governmental agencies on the basis of this research. The Toxicology Team, together with 5 other WFSR teams, forms the Contaminants & Toxicology business unit, which, in addition to toxicological research and analyses of food and feed, also carries out analytical-chemical research and develops new methods.
WHAT WILL YOU DO
As research manager Toxicology, you focus on the optimal functioning of the employees in your team and the development of the team as a whole. You ensure that they can do their job well in a pleasant and socially & physically safe working environment. You are responsible for, among other things:
- The personal development of approx. 15 professionals in your team and their well-being. In addition to individual growth, you also ensure that your team grows as a whole.
- The scientific and technical quality of the products your team delivers. To this end, you organize the processes in such a way that an optimal result is obtained where everyone takes their responsibility.
- Acquisition and implementation of new projects: You are strongly focused on the (inter)national research that you carry out within your team and you are looking for new opportunities for your team.
- Project management: you coach project leaders in the realisation of their projects and the creation of project reports. You also connect with experts within the entire WUR organisation.
- Managing the finances of your team and you are responsible for the financial result.
- You have successfully completed an education at university level, preferably a PhD, related to the team's field of work (life sciences, toxicology).
- You are a real people manager: you have an eye for the individual needs and motivations of your employees, but also for team and organizational needs. You know how to create a safe environment with open communication.
- You have experience in managing professionals in a scientific, multi-disciplinary research environment.
- You have a good command of the English and Dutch language or you are willing to learn the Dutch language.
- You have experience with acquisition and project management. The following competencies are important for a research manager at WFSR: coaching, connecting leadership, persuasiveness, organizational sensitivity and planning & organizing.
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 4%;
- excellent pension scheme.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 17th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
For more information about this position, please contact Charon Zondervan, Business Unit Manager, telephone +31 6 5141 1552 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the procedure, please contact Rutger Voorrips, Recruiter, telephone +31 317 480571 or by e-mail email@example.com.
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be published till Friday January 27, 2023. We have scheduled the first interviews in week 6 of 2023.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.
Wageningen University & Research The mission of Wageningen University and Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With its roughly 30 branches, 6.800 employees and 12.900 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of Wageningen’s unique approach. WUR has been named Best Employer in the Education category for 2019-2020. Read the 5 reasons why your future colleagues enjoy working at WUR and watch this video to get an idea of our green campus! We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.