Are you a talented BSc/MSc student, PhD candidate, employee or visiting scholar at WUR, with an Asian language background? And do you want to improve your English fluency and pronunciation, including intonation? Are you full of ambition to contribute to the world by achieving your scientific goals, but are your English speaking skills holding you back? Then this is the course for you.
Perhaps you have been asking yourself some of the following questions:
- How can I make sure other people better understand what I’m saying?
- How can I make my English intonation sound more natural?
- How can I improve my articulation in English?
- How can I feel less stressed communicating in English?
- How can I focus better while working on my pronunciation & fluency?
English Pronunciation & Fluency will answer these questions by offering you a practical step-by-step approach to improve your speaking skills.
This course is for all WUR BSc/MSc students, employees and prospective and current WUR PhD candidates with an Asian Language background and a B2 level of English. External participants are welcome.
English Pronunciation & Fluency is an intensive 4-week course, which allows you to improve your English speaking skills in an effective way. Through a methodical and practical approach we will help you train your pronunciation and fluency skills in class and build your confidence outside the classroom.
- Activating the speech muscles in mouth, lips, tongue, jaw, voice & abdomen
- Finetuning articulation by training ‘articulatory awareness’ (locating individual sounds in the mouth)
- Practising the 3 levels of pronunciation:
1. Sound level (pronouncing vowels & consonants by means of a sound chart)
2. Word level (identifying & classifying stressed & unstressed syllables)
3. Sentence level (working on intonation & connected speech)
- Creating natural intonation by highlighting stressed syllables & reducing the unstressed ones
- Mastering connected speech by linking sounds & grouping words
- Slowing down & speaking in chunks (meaningful groups of words)
- Reducing stress & boosting your confidence!
- Number of classes: 4 (one class per week of 3 hours each)
- Self-study: 24 hours (6 hours per week)
- Min. 8 – max. 10 participants
Dates and time
The sessions take place on Thursday afternoons from 13.30 to 16.30 hrs at the Forum building.
- Session 1 – 7 June 2018
- Session 2 – 14 June 2018
- Session 3 – 21 June 2018
- Session 4 – 28 June 2018
Participants will have access to Blackboard, where they can find the materials they need.
New course participants are obliged to take the free Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) to ensure that they are placed in the right course. English Pronunciation & Fluency requires an OOPT score of 60.
Please note: your registration cannot be confirmed without a placement test result. Arrange an OOPT appointment through our online calendar.
If you cannot attend your appointment, please call us at +31 (0) 317 48 25 52 or email us at email@example.com. You cannot cancel the appointment online.
Participants must attend 3 out of 4 sessions of the course and fully engage in the lessons to receive a certificate. Those who do not meet the attendance requirements are not entitled to any certification.
We only accept payment by debit or credit card.