Ghana loses up to 50% of produce. The Government of Ghana has made the reduction of losses her priority. However, policies and programs are not well aligned, and an integral vision on agrologistics is lacking.
Honouring the overarching aims of the the Worldbank Multi-Donor Trust Funds Sustainable Logistics and taking the Ghanaian situation into account, the project aims at improving food security through more efficient agro supply chains with a focus on reduction of postharvest losses in the chain. The means of achieving this goal is to develop clear roadmaps with concrete interventions for 2 product market combinations leading to an efficient logistic network aiming at:
- Cost reduction and improved responsiveness
- Improved food quality and reduction of losses
- Improved market competitiveness for agriproducts
Major outputs of the programme will be:
- Evaluation of current issues in selected fruit and vegetable value chains that lead to the quantum and severity of postharvest losses
- Interventions and roadmaps designed for these selected value chains so as to improve the current situation
- Interventions and roadmaps designed anticipating on the future development in terms of production and consumption
The approach of the project is to develop a general methodology for the development of the roadmap and apply this methodology to selected Product Market Combinations. Consequently, after this project this methodology can be applied to other PMCs within Ghana as well as to other African countries. It is envisaged that the project can contribute to the African Union Implementation Strategy and Roadmap to Achieve the 2025 Vision on CAADP (IS&R) that facilitates the translation of the 2025 vision and goals of the Malabo Declaration into concrete results and impacts.
All results will be input for further policy development that will lead to the overall development of the integrated agro-logistics strategy in Ghana. Since the Ghanaian government is already committed to develop such a policy, the Ministry of Trade and Industry will make use of the outcomes and deliverables that will be generated through this project.