Age reading for fish is an expertise that requires maintenance and (international) calibration. The WOT-projects in which age determinations are carried out do not fund the maintenance and calibration of the knowledge.
Therefore KB-WOT funding is required. Aim of this project is the calibration of age reading for fish.
The following three activities are essential for maintenance of the expertise fish ageing:
- International calibration by participation in international exchanges of otolith sets and comparison of age readings and workshops.
- Training of new age readers.
- Development and implementation of (inter)national QA procedures.
- ICES reports of exchanges and workshops to be held in 2012 (brill exchange, turbot exchange, sprat exchange, horse mackerel workshop and exchange).
- Update and elaboration of IMARES manuals on procedures and quality control.