This project will identify and suggest tools for improved selection for drought and heat stress tolerance in potato. It will thus pave the way for sustainable potato improvement for India’s semi-arid regions, while simultaneously strengthening the Dutch breeding industry.
Objectives of the project
- Evaluation of Dutch and Indian varieties and breeding material for traits contributing to drought and heat stress tolerance
- Establish genetic resources and populations for breeding for heat and drought stress tolerance
- Include knowledge about tuberisation pathways and genes in breeding strategies for heat and drought stress tolerance
- Translate information from mapping populations to markers and methodologies supporting selection for drought and heat stress
- Scientific contacts and scientific core team established
- Advanced draft of whitepaper