By Dr. J.M. Schoorl
Of the past 20 years Wageningen University and our group have been teaching (Student field practicals) and investigating in this area, resulting in several PhD theses, numerous MSc theses and a large amount of field data on soils and geology of the area. Furthermore, a considerable amount of landscape system modelling experience has been gained over the past years.
A major problem is lack of suitable data sets which allow calibration and validation of such models at the appropriate temporal and spatial resolution and extent. Nevertheless, the Guadalhorce area has the potential to provide more and more of the necessary data.
We will continu with fieldwork and modelling including radiometric dates. Research Results (long term) are fore seen in scientific papers and project proposals to start new PhD projects.
- Schoorl, J.M.; Temme, A.J.A.M.; Wallinga, J.; Veldkamp, A. (2010). Pleistocene development of the Lower Guadalhorce river (Spain). In: Long term River evolution and fluvial dynamics, Abstracts, Fluvial Archives Group (FLAG) Biennial Meeting, Vila Velha de Rodao, Castelo Branco, Portugal, 5-10 September 2010. - Fluvial Archives Group (FLAG), Long term River evolution and fluvial dynamics, 2010-09-05/ 2010-09-10.
- Schoorl, J.M. and A. Veldkamp, 2006. Multi-Scale Soil-Landscape Process Modeling. Pages 417 – 435, Ed. Sabine Grunwald, In: Environmental Soil-Landscape Modeling: Geographic Information Technologies and Pedometrics. CRC press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton. FL. 488pp.
- Schoorl, J.M., Veldkamp, A. and R.M. van den Berg, 2004. Field Guide for the Field Conference Malaga Basin 2004, IGCP449 Global Correlation of Cenozoic fluvial deposits. Wageningen University, NL. pp50
- Schoorl, J.M., Boix Fayos, C., de Meijer, R.J., van der Graaf, E.R., and Veldkamp, A., 2004a, The 137Cs technique on steep Mediterranean slopes (Part 1): analysing effects of lithology and slope position: Catena, v. 57, p. 15-34.
- Schoorl, J.M., Boix Fayos, C., de Meijer, R.J., van der Graaf, E.R., and Veldkamp, A., 2004b, The 137Cs technique on steep Mediterranean slopes (Part 2): landscape evolution and model calibration: Catena, v. 57, p. 35-54.
- Schoorl, J.M., & Veldkamp, A., 2003. Late Cenozoic landscape development and its tectonic implications for the Guadalhorce valley (South Spain). Geomorphology 50 (1-3): 43-57
- Schoorl, J.M., Veldkamp, A., and Bouma, J., 2002, Modelling water and soil redistribution in a dynamic landscape context: Soil.Sci.Soc.Am.J., v. 66, p. 1610-1619.
- Schoorl, J.M., and Veldkamp, A., 2001, Linking land use and landscape process modelling: a case study for the Alora region (South Spain): Agric.Ecosyst.Environ., v. 85, p. 281-292.
- Schoorl, J.M., Sonneveld, M.P.W., and Veldkamp, A., 2000, Three-dimensional landscape process modelling: the effect of DEM resolution: Earth Surf.Proc.Landforms, v. 25, p. 1025-1034.