The amount of porpoises, how they are spread and how this is related to feeding ecology, will be discussed within this project.
Porpoises are protected. The Dutch government must give substance to this protection duty. The Porpoise Protection Plan from 2011 shows knowledge gaps. The aim of this project is to provide the missing knowledge:
- How many porpoises are there in our waters and what is the seasonal variation in their numbers?
- How is the distribution of porpoises and what is the seasonal variation?
- Are we feeding ecology of the harbor porpoise related to changes in distribution and numbers?
In this project for the first time telemetry study on porpoises in the North Sea is used. The possibilities and problems of this method are examined.
The project has yielded the following results:
- Mortality of porpoises are casualty-catch of fishing, starvation, infections.
- The population has grown to a size of about 80,000 animals.
- Tele Metric research is difficult to implement for porpoises.
Contaminanten in aangespoelde bruinvissen langs de Nederlandse kust; spekkwaliteit, neonaten en chemische profielen
Yerseke : IMARES (Rapport / IMARES Wageningen UR C113/14) - p.
Marine mammal surveys in Dutch North Sea waters in 2015
Den Helder : IMARES (Report / IMARES C189/15) - p.
Marine mammal surveys in Dutch waters in 2012
Den Burg : IMARES (Report / IMARES Wageningen UR C038/13) - p.
Marine mammal surveys in Dutch waters in 2013
Den Burg : IMARES (Report / IMARES Wageningen UR C027/14) - p.
Marine mammal surveys in Dutch waters in 2014
Den Burg : IMARES (Report / IMARES Wageningen UR C180/14) - p.
Overdracht van contaminanten van moeder naar jong en chemische profielen in bruinvissen gestrand langs de Nederlandse kust
: Wageningen Marine Research (Rapport / Wageningen Marine Research C096/16) - p.
The diet of harbour porpoises Phocoena phocoena in dutch waters: 2003 - 2014
Den Burg : IMARES (Report / IMARES Wageningen UR C136/14) - p.