Main motivation for the project is that the Netherlands can provide help in improving the very poor food security position of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
Potato is a very important crop in Korea (190,000 hectares) and the Netherlands have much to offer at both the scientific and commercial level. Scientific cooperation can be a vehicle to establish a network of contacts between the two countries which can eventually benefit the Dutch potato sector.
Goals of this project are:
- Implementation of the EU-co-sponsored potato Integrated Pest Management (IPM) project;
- Training of Korean scientists for a Wageningen PhD;
- Expanding the scientific cooperation program to aphid and beetle pests of potato;
- Implementation of pyrethrum cultivation to generate biological pesticides for insect control.
- Visit of 6 months of four scientists;
- Networking in Pyongyang to initiate a symposium in 2012;
- Implementation of the co-sponsored EU project;
- In country training IPM for potato by CDI;
- Study tour and training of two scientists in Wageningen;
- Initiating the organization of an international conference in DPRK in 2012;
- Visit to DPRK of a Wageningen UR.