Do you find it difficult to write a text? Do you think your texts sometimes do not convey your message? How can you ensure that your style and choice of words are professional and that your arguments are persuasive? This course will help you answer these questions and optimise your writing skills!
Classes take place on the campus of Wageningen University & Research, in the Forum building.
Academic Writing is for Bachelor’s and Master’s students looking to improve their academic writing skills.
- Academic Writing 1: B1
- You will read various academic texts and analyse the language they use.
- You will write short texts to practice the topics discussed.
- You will write one longer text on a topic relevant to your field.
You will receive help with:
- Writing good sentences.
- Building paragraphs.
- Using academic words and phrases.
- Adding references to your text.
- Developing reading skills.
After completing Academic Writing 1, you can continue on to Academic Writing 2.
This course consists of one class a week for 8 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and 45 minutes. You should expect to spend 2 to 3 hours on homework each week.
Dates and times
The course Academic Writing 1 is offered annually in October, February, and May. The next course starts in February 2019.
|Start date||End date||Day||Time|
|19 February||16 April||Tuesday||19.30 - 21.15 hrs|
Participants will have access to Blackboard, where all the required materials will be available.
Certification and exam
To receive a Wageningen in'to Languages certificate, a minimum attendance of 80% is required. A diagnostic test is optional. This costs €25.
|BSc/MSc WUR Students||€ 60|
|WUR Employees||€ 250|
|Regular fee||€ 275|
Prior to registration: placement test and writing assessment
All our Academic Writing courses require a placement test and a writing assignment. Allocation in courses is based on the results of both tests, not just the placement test.
Academic Writing 1 requires an OOPT score of 40 to 50. Arrange an OOPT appointment through our online calendar. If you cannot attend your appointment, please call us at +31 (0) 317 48 25 52 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You cannot cancel the appointment online.
You will write a short essay of 150-250 words on a topic related to your field of study. Be sure to structure your essay and use accurate and appropriate language so that your text flows from one idea to the next.
Tips for the writing assessment
Before sending in your text, read your draft and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does your text have a clear introduction and conclusion?
- Have you used either blocked paragraphs or indented ones?
- Have you checked your word choice to make sure the words/phrases ar not too informal and are familiar to an educated reader who is not from your field?
- Have you met the word count requirements (in this case, 300 words max.)?
- Have you checked the spelling using the spelling checker?
- Have you checked for sentences that are either too long or incomplete?
Please upload your assignment using the form on the righthand side of this page. Our teachers will grade your assignment and place you in either Academic Writing 1, 2 or 3.
Your registration cannot be confirmed without the results from the placement test and the writing assignment.