Are you currently writing a longer text? Your texts might not always convey the message you intend. What to write and what not to write? What is the appropriate way to address a colleague, supervisor or client? How can you ensure that your style and choice of words help you come across in a professional manner? How can you make your arguments persuasive? This course will help you answer these questions and optimise your writing skills.
Classes take place on the campus of Wageningen University & Research, in the Forum building.
Academic Writing 2 is for Bachelor’s and Master’s students who want to further develop their writing skills and are in need of assistance with writing longer texts.
Academic Writing 2: B1-B2
- You will read various academic texts and analyse the language they use.
- You will write paragraphs to practice the topics discussed.
- You will write a longer text reviewing literature related to your field.
You will receive help with:
- Writing clear academic paragraphs.
- Structuring paragraphs to form longer texts.
- Developing a clear argument.
- Integrating sources into your text.
- Developing reading skills.
This course consists of one class a week for 8 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and 45 minutes. You should expect to spend 2 to 3 hours on homework each week.
Dates and times
The course Academic Writing 2 is offered annually in January, May and October. The next course starts in January 2020.
|Start date||End date||Course day||Time|
|January 23, 2020 (FULLY BOOKED)||April 2, 2020||Thursday||19.30 - 21.15 hrs|
Participants will have access to Brightspace, where all the required materials will be available.
Certification an exam
To receive a Wageningen in'to Languages certificate, a minimum attendance of 80% is required.
|BSc/MSc WUR Students||€ 60|
|WUR Employees||€ 250|
|Regular fee||€ 275|
Prior to registration: placement test and writing assessment
All our Academic Writing courses require a placement test and a writing assignment. Allocation in courses is based on the results of both tests, not just the placement test.
Academic Writing 2 requires an OOPT score of 50 to 70. Arrange an OOPT appointment through our online calendar. If you cannot attend your appointment, please call us at +31 (0) 317 48 25 52 or email us at email@example.com. You cannot cancel the appointment online.
You will write a short essay of 250-300 words on a topic related to your field of study. Be sure to structure your essay and use accurate and appropriate language so that your text flows from one idea to the next.
Tips for the writing assessment
Before sending in your text, read your draft and ask yourself the following questions:
- Does your text have a clear introduction and conclusion?
- Have you used either blocked paragraphs or indented ones?
- Have you checked your word choice to make sure the words/phrases are familiar to an educated reader not in your field, and that they are not too informal?
- Have you met the word count requirements (in this case, 300 words max.)?
- Have you checked the spelling using the spelling checker?
- Have you checked for sentences that are either too long or that are incomplete?
Please upload your assignment using the form on the righthand side of this page. Our teachers will grade your assignment and place you in either Academic Writing 1, 2 or 3.
Your registration cannot be confirmed without the results from the placement test and the writing assignment.