This Capstone project is the final part of the MicroMasters programme in Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability. Design a sustainable biobased process and evaluate the technological, societal and economic impact to finish the MicroMasters programme.
Content of the course
In this capstone project, you will focus on designing a sustainable biobased process. The emphasis of the project is on conversion. You will design a process from biomass to a finished product and discuss your choices for a catalyst, reactor type, organism and feedstock. You should be able to discuss your choices in the broad picture of sustainability while emphasising the conversion aspects of the process. The final product in this capstone project is a written report. Complete your MicroMasters credential by signing up for a virtually-proctored exam. This 2 hour, multiple choice exam will test your knowledge on all topics discussed in the 4 MOOCs of the online MicroMasters Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability.
When can you subscribe to the capstone?
You can only start the capstone project after completing all other courses in the MicroMasters programme in Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability with a verified certificate for every MOOC:
- Biorefinery: From Biomass to Building Blocks of Biobased Products
- Catalytic Conversions for Biobased Chemicals and Products
- From Fossil Resources to Biomass: A Business and Economics Perspective
What you will learn
- Design a sustainable biobased process
- Choose an appropriate catalyst for the process and discuss the consequences of that catalyst on the process
- Choose an appropriate organism for the process and discuss the consequences
- Choose the appropriate feedstock for your biobased process and discuss the consequences
- Calculate the mass balance of the proceses
MicroMasters Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability
This MOOC is the final poject/capstone of the Online MicroMasters Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability, which is a programme that enables you to discover new resources and help your company make the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources.