Are you a professional in the food industry and do you want to strengthen your expertise and knowledge about how to structure foods by processes involving deformation?
In this online master's course the relationships between emulsification or extrusion processes and the stability of structured multiphase food systems will be discussed. Since this online course is part-time, you will be able to combine study and work and enhance your career.
Content of the course
This course aims at presenting ways to structure foods by processes involving deformation, e.g., emulsification or extrusion. Students will learn about the existing deformation-based processes for structured food products and get understanding about the relevant underlying physics. For instance, we will focus on the physical properties (e.g., rheology) of structured multiphase food systems (e.g., high internal phase emulsions, phase-separated biopolymer systems). Another main focus will be on the physical stability of emulsions and on the properties on the oil-water interfacial layer in such systems, notably interfacial rheology.
Knowledge clips, online tutorials.
You will learn to
- explain the current deformation-based processes used for the production of multiphase food products
- explain the relevant physics related to those processes
- design relevant deformation-based processes for structured food products
- explain the physical properties of liquid interfaces in multiphase food products
- analyse the relation between the physical properties and stability of structured food products and their structure at various scales
When you want to learn more about physics for food structure, other courses are interesting for you too! You can deepen your knowledge in a specific career field, without following a complete master's programme. You can register for any combination, but these are our suggestions:
- Food Structuring – Structuring by Temperature, Designing Edible Barriers (strongly recommended)
- Advanced Food Physics – Rheology and Fracture of Soft Solids (strongly recommended)
After completion of two or more courses there is a unique opportunity to apply what you have learned. You can start a capstone project in consultation with a Wageningen expert in the field. It is a tailor-made project, where you will write a short paper about your results and conclusions. During this work you will be coached by the expert. Price: €1,230,-.
Level of knowledge
The language of instruction of this course is in English. Admission to the course requires a level of English as defined at the website for Dutch nationals, EU nationals or nationals outside EU/EFTA respectively.
You can complete the course(s) with an exam (not obligatory) or a capstone project. When completed successfully this will be mentioned on your certificate (included in the price).