Glycosylation is one of the major post translation modifications to proteins in mammals. During this enzymatic process, sugar chains are attached to newly developed proteins. These sugar chains are called glycans and play an important role in the stability, function, recognition and folding of proteins. Also many therapeutic proteins like vaccines, antibodies and enzymes require glycans to have full biological activity.
Therefore, the aim is to study the N-glycosylation in these organisms in more detail. By introducing mammalian enzymes a more humanizing end-glycan profile is produced which enables production of high quality therapeutic proteins. In our research we use the plant species Arabidopsis thaliana, Nicotiana tabacum and Nicotiana benthamiana. Furthermore, by developing tools for glycoprofiling and for assessing proteins quality using state of the art “omics” technology we are able to measure the integrity of the produced proteins in more detail.
Reports en publications
- Henquet, M., et al (2009). Differential effects of human and plant N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I (GnTI) in plants. Transgenic Res. 2009
- Zhang, M., Henquet, M., et al (2009). LEW3, encoding a putative alpha-1,2-mannosyltransferase (ALG11) in N-linked glycoprotein, plays vital roles in cell-wall biosynthesis and the abiotic stress response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 2009
- Henquet, M., et al. (2010) Characterization of the single-chain Fv-Fc antibody MBP10 produced in Arabidopsis alg3 mutant seeds. Transgenic Research.
- Rouwendal, G.J., et al. (2009) Synthesis of Lewis X epitopes on plant N-glycans. Carbohydr Res. 344(12): p. 1487-93.
- Bosch, H.J.; Schots, A. (2010) Plant glycans: friend or foe in vaccine development? Expert Review Vaccines 9 (8). - p. 835 - 842.
- Berends, E.; Scholtmeijer, K.; Wösten, H.A.B.; Bosch, H.J.; Lugones, L.G. (2009) The use of mushroom-forming fungi for the production of N-glycosylated therapeutic proteins. Trends in Microbiology 17 (10). - p. 439 - 443.
- M, Eigenhuijsen J, Hesselink T, Spiegel H, Schreuder M, van Duijn E, Cordewener J, Depicker A, van der Krol A, Bosch D (2011) Characterization of the single-chain Fv-Fc antibody MBP10 produced in Arabidopsis alg3 mutant seeds. Henquet. Transgenic Res; 20(5):1033-42.
- Telen voor medische wetenschap, Groenten en Fruit (pdf) (Februari 2010)